Martin Guitars 
Go Back > Other Forums > Introductions
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 02-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #31

I've more or less outlined by experiences with "guitar" on this forum in previous posts. I began with the ubiquitous $15 "Silvertone" acoustic guitar when I was young and, like many student players of the day, found the "student grade" guitar very difficult to deal with due to the high tension strings, high action and no ready alternative. I moved up to an electric guitar after about two years of struggling with the acoustic and played around on that for lessons.

In about 1967 I bought a nylon string "classical" style guitar and began teaching myself the techniques and repertoire of the classical genre by buying books I found on the very limited market of the day. I have two degrees in Theatre Arts and my undergraduate program shared the same building and performance space with the music majors. So I continued to learn and even gave lessons at a local music store - I was actually the closest thing to a classical player my small town had! - but my time was mostly devoted to things other than the guitars throughout college and graduate school.

Then life moved in and got solidly between me and the guitars.

I still have both the electric and the nylon string though both have been upgraded over time. I have a fairly nice nylon string guitar right now that I do enjoy playing. However, I have played the classical guitar only irregularly this last year as I had a rather severe accident a few years back which shattered my left elbow and caused general damage to my left arm/wrist/hand.

Surgery repaired everything but the results of a detached muscle have left me with decreased strength and dexterity on my left side. Even with the lower tensions of the nylon strings, the broad, flat fretboard of the classical is at times more than my hand can deal with. Therefore, my classical repertoire has dwindled down in recent years.

I visit a classical guitar forum on occasion as there is one member there who is quite well informed and more than willing to freely give away his knowledge.

A recent thread there was begun by an instructor who had just taken on a new student. This student played "metal" on an electric but wanted to learn a bit about "classical" guitar styles. He (it was made obvious this is a male student) had brought in his steel string dreadnought to play for the instructor. You would have thought the student had asked to rewrite the entire history of music.

Post after post came in mentioning how steel strings simply destroyed the classical player's "crown jewel" fingernails and how proper "tone" and technique was simply impossible to achieve on a steel string guitar. I was treated to some very snide to simply rude comments when I suggested the student may be confusing "classical" style with simple fingerstyle playing and, if so, this is not someone looking to become the next Segovia. Anyone who brought up the idea this student was only asking for general information about reading music, learning some music theory and playing music other than "metal" was treated as though they had farted in a crowded elevator.

It seems to always be the case, the closer I get to "classical guitarists" themself, the more I think too many of them are not good for one's soul.

I see you've just joined the ""Guitar for Beginners" forum and you're also on the "Fingersytyle" forum.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #32

I'm not expecting that your answer will be that extensive

No doubt that you have very good qualifications and great knowledge on this subject. I'm just ordinary guitar passionate. I know theories of music as much as i need and i know that i must learning a lot yet.
Getting to the point i don't play on classical nylon strings. I preffer only acoustic guitar.
Maby i'm wrong but i thnik that classical guitar music is too strict in her rules. For my is something like compare german language and english.
German - harsh, rigid.
English -soft,harmonious It's strange compare but that i see this point

Acoustic guitar, fingerstyle play, is more free than classical play.
Other side they are some songs that sound more romantic on classical guitar

I preffer acoustic, but sometimes play some classical pieces as a workshop.
ufff i must little gimnastic to write in english

Yes i joined to other forums cause i need to know how other people perceive my compositions

I'm sorry that for your hand. I was accident in my work too in 2010. I lost my melody finger in right hand. I was in depress cause my future with fingerstyle looked uncertain. You know, to fingerstyle you need usually 3-4 fingers, so i had to start training my little finger.
It was very hard and long way, but now i have my little finger as good as melody finger.
If you love to do something, nothing will stop You
p2dother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:30 AM   #33

Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
Allow me to suggest you explore "binaural beats";

And "isochronic tones";

These are, IMO, compositions which will sound familiar to the "new age" advocate. Yet they are constructions which follow the psycho-acoustic principles of brain wave entrainment;

Have you ever experimented with a five hole pentatonic flute? I find them a wonderful way to relax on the back porch at 2 AM playing to the breeze and the moon.
I'll look into it.

Ever heard of Riley Lee or Michael George Silverman? I decided to mention a couple artists I like in this genre. Also a couple albums by Korean pianist Ku Hye Sun--only her full-length instrumental albums, completely different from her pop-music singles apparently released for teen-age girls in Asia. I like stuff I run across and explore. While this is not new age, I liked the composer Erik Satie's Gymnopedies, and while looking for a good recording I found The Jacques Loussier Trio had recorded a traditional jazz arrangement CD of Satie's Gymnopedies. I put them together in a play list, the original being classical piano work only, and this is a very relaxing set of music. New Age? Not by anyone's definition, I'm sure, but I take good music where I find it, and I don't personally analyze it from the point of a musician or music theorist. This probably does nothing for me as a musician and lowers my estimation in the eyes of my fellow guitarists, but honesty is the best policy. And I was talking about music I listen to, not music I play.
ReallyCrappyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:35 AM   #34

Originally Posted by p2dother View Post
I play a few classical songs. Yesterday i was play ,,Air on G-string,,. Classical pieces are very good for practices. Whay You ask? You play some on classical guitar?
Great tune. Although an arrangement from part of a Bach Orchestral Suite, I would say it is still Baroque, not Classical--to be completely correct, and admittedly pig-headed.
ReallyCrappyPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote