AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > The Workbench
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 02-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #1
Ched

Default D-28 Neck Crack

Hey guys,
I have a Sigma D-28, had it for a little under a year now. Really good sounding guitar, best playing acoustic I have (I'm more of a electric player really), but a few months ago, a friend of mine picked it up, put the strap around his neck, and it fell straight onto the floor. This has resulted in sight cosmetic damage on the headstock, the Corner has had the finish taken off, no biggie, but my main concern is the fact that there is now a reasonable sized crack going from the headstock join about the third fret on the back side of the neck (picture attached). I'm not sure how deep the damage is, but for the last few months it's just been sitting in the corner because I haven't been brave enough to play it. I've had the strings off since about a week after the incident took place in order to avoid worsening the situation.
So is this something to worry about? I know the sensible thing to do would be to go to a professional Luther to have it sorted out, but if it's a job I'm able to do out home, that would make things a whole lot easier. So how would you go about fixing something like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180218_185826.jpg (90.5 KB, 8 views)
Ched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #2
Caddy

If you could open that crack just enough to get some yellow wood glue (like Titebond) in there and clamp it until the glue fully cures you would probably be fine. Actually the the glue joint will be stronger than the wood itself. (something I tested and proved to myself when I used to make custom hardwood furniture)
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #3
mcquinnsr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6PsTxc4r30
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
JanVigne

"If you could open that crack just enough to get some yellow wood glue (like Titebond) in there and clamp it until the glue fully cures you would probably be fine."

The thing to think about here, IMO, is what might happen when you try to "open up" the crack. From the video you can see the size of the stylus that feeds glue into a crack is not all that tiny. The split in the wood runs to and towards the end of the grain which, in my experience, suggests the split might just continue to grow quite rapidly and very unexpectedly when you apply pressure to opening the wound. Your guitar will be worth exactly $0,000,000k when you are holding a part of the neck in each hand.

Why not just take it to a technician and have them give you an estimate of repair costs before you take the chance of really boogering up this guitar? What's the downside in that?
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 AM   #5
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
I've used carpenter's glue to repair cracks in 100 year old gun stocks--never had a needle and syringe though--what a great idea!