AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > Luthier's Corner
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 09-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #1
iKokomo

Default Fixing Old Chip Board Case

I found this neat dreadnought chipboard case at a thrift store for $2 USD. The only problem with the case is there is a tear (as seen in the photo) by one of the latches. Other than that, the case is in fairly good shape. I was wondering what the best way to fix this?
Thanks a lot!!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/LH3zxu]
iKokomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:18 PM   #2
Cozmik Cowboy

With fire.
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
JanVigne

Two questions, ...

First, does this case fit any guitar you currently own?

"Dreadnought" is a rather generic size and, if the case doesn't fit snugly around your guitar, then it's about as good as no case at all.

Second, how much are you willing to invest in this $2 case?

And before we discuss how much you should be willing to invest, look at the case. It's simple cardboard covered in vinyl. It probably came in a complete "ready to play guitar kit" that cost about $49 new for the guitar, the case, a strap, a pick and a "how to play guitar the easy way" four page book.

The stitching has broken loose at the seam. Someone who does leather repair might be willing to take on the project but you'll likely also need to fit the latch into another location for higher security. That's not going to be cheap.

Otherwise, the ever popular gaffers tape and bungee cords will hold for awhile. Any type of jerry rigged fix will be OK if you aren't into looks and you never really depend on the latch to hold. That does, of course, negate many of the reasons for using a case.

One cautionary tale about latches ... I once placed my guitar into a gigbag and thought I had secured the zippers. Unfortunately, I had been distracted during the pack up and, when I slung the bag over my shoulder to head home, the guitar went flying out of the partially unzipped bag only to land about six feet away; first, on its tailpiece - and then it bounced - and, second, it landed on its headstock - and then it bounced again - before finally, spinning like an Olympic diver performing a one and a half gainer, it teetered and wobbled on its side before finally - FINALLY!!! - tipping downward onto a flagstone floor and coming to a rattling, jangling mess of what was once recognizable as a guitar that had almost instantly become a painful to look at pile of kindling piled indelicately against the wall.

The only good side to this story would be it was simply my cheapo practice guitar that I carried day to day. But the guitar was broken to the point it was cheaper to buy another practice guitar than have that one repaired.

The moral is, cases and bags that can't be counted on aren't worth the effort - just pick your guitar up and throw it down on the floor right now - hard, I mean really, really hard so it bounces a coupla times at least - and be done with it.

Curse a lot.

Swear about how incredibly stupid that was to do.

Feel bad about what you did to your guitar.

Then you get to buy a new guitar.

Yeah, it's a not so great punishment/reward system but it's all I got.

How many hours long is the shop's return policy?
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
mcquinnsr

While those are valid points ,there also is the possibility unlikely as it is since you asked the question you did that you might have a sewing machine capable of stitching a new strip of fiberboard wrapped in vinyl in which case it would be a matter of finishing the dis assembly and creating new parts then stitching them on riveting the latches and hinges back on , having a cold beer and admiring your work. Other than that $2.00 is not a bad investment for a box to store a guitar in under your bed, but I probably wouldn't use it as most of us use our cases.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:02 PM   #5
Caddy

IMHO, any acoustic guitar deserves a better case than that one. There is a reason that those are no longer made.
Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:53 AM   #6
nspdx

I'd just JB Weld it and call it good.
nspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #7
JanVigne

It'd be a waste of a good product. There's not enough JB Weld in the world as is.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:00 PM   #8
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nspdx View Post
I'd just JB Weld it and call it good.
Love JB Weld but it's not made for flexible stuff!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #9
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
While those are valid points ,there also is the possibility unlikely as it is since you asked the question you did that you might have a sewing machine capable of stitching a new strip of fiberboard wrapped in vinyl in which case it would be a matter of finishing the dis assembly and creating new parts then stitching them on riveting the latches and hinges back on , having a cold beer and admiring your work. Other than that $2.00 is not a bad investment for a box to store a guitar in under your bed, but I probably wouldn't use it as most of us use our cases.
Any leather worker can stitch that closed. Shoe repair, etc. Best bet is do it at home or it's no longer a good investment. (whether it was originally is another discussion).
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #10
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy View Post
IMHO, any acoustic guitar deserves a better case than that one. There is a reason that those are no longer made.
Really? Cheapo cheapo guitars don't come with those any more? And here I thought my cases are all covered and padded plywood now because I have better guitars? I've been fooling myself!!!
Old 02-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #11
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
It'd be a waste of a good product. There's not enough JB Weld in the world as is.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:05 PM   #12
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iKokomo View Post
I found this neat dreadnought chipboard case at a thrift store for $2 USD. The only problem with the case is there is a tear (as seen in the photo) by one of the latches. Other than that, the case is in fairly good shape. I was wondering what the best way to fix this?
Thanks a lot!!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/LH3zxu]
Who doesn't love a bargain, but as someone with too many dirt cheap "things" around that never worked out to be of value for anything, sometimes even two bucks isn't even a bargain.