AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > Acoustic Guitars
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 10-11-2015, 04:33 PM   #1
Doograham

Post Need help with string brand and type for Martin GPCPA5K

Hello there. I have just recently bought myself a Martin GPCPA5K. and i have to say, it sounds better than any other guitar near its price range for its price!

I believe it came with Martin lifespan sp pb 12's. It sounds great. Although the strings came with a little rust. So im going to change them. I prefer coated strings because my hands tend to sweat alot. I'd like some advice on what other brand would sound good on a solid spruce top martin . Or what brand do you guys recommend for great tone and life. (I was thinking of d'addario exp's but not sure) And what type of strings (80/20 or pb)

(P.S they do not sell DR strings where i live. Incase anyone recommends those.)
Doograham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #2
JanVigne

I can't recommend any brand of coated string since I don't care to use them.

I would suggest you pay attention to the string tension of any set you consider. As Santa Cruz guitar says, "Gauge means nothing, it's all about tension"; SCGC Strings :: Santa Cruz Guitar Company

If you can wipe your guitar down after each session, you might consider Martin's Retro series of strings. IMO they're great though they seem to be a polarizing product. If you like the "zing" of most modern strings, you might think the Retro's are somewhat dull. If you like the traditional sound of a wood guitar, then the Retro's might just be your cup of tea.

Until the Retro's came along - with the Tony Rice Signature 13's first - I was using John Pearse strings; http://www.jpstrings.com/brstring.htm

Like the Retro's, the JP's may not be to your taste if you want a toppy sounding guitar.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 AM   #3
Blackville

I recommend Elixir Nanoweb Phosphor Bronze Lights. I used these almost exclusively on my Martin DCPA4. When I used something different, I tried D'Addario EXP16's

Some of the best regular prices (and occasionally some really good sales) are available through an online company Strings & Beyond.
http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/?gcl...XmsaAplc8P8HAQ

-----

2012 Martin D-18
2012 Taylor GA3
2013 Eastman AC508M
2011 Eastman AC812 OM
2004 Seagull Artist Mosaic QII
2002 Simon & Patrick Cedar Folk
1968 Silvertone Sovereign 1220 Jumbo
2012 Fishman Loudbox Artist amp & Shure SM-58 mic

Last edited by Blackville; 10-12-2015 at 06:04 AM.
Blackville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:55 PM   #4
Cozmik Cowboy

I pretty much only use D'Addario, and for acoustic only phosphor/bronze. I also pretty much dispise coated strings.

But you, of course, have a different guitar, different fingers, and different ears; I also like small, smart redheads, but that might not work for you.......
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 PM   #5
JanVigne

"But you, of course, have a different guitar, different fingers, and different ears; I also like small, smart redheads, but that might not work for you....... "

You have a dacshund?
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
mcquinnsr

I use Lifespan SP Lights on mine,good compromise between tone and longevity. I like uncoated strings while they are fresh but they seem to change quickly and I would rather have consistency. Different strokes for different folks. I would recommend you just try them all out and stick with what you like.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
muddog

Default Strings

I've always used phosphor Martin strings on my Martin guitars... it's probably a matter of personal preference but as far as I'm concerned the sound can't be beat. I'm not fond of coated strings, to me it sounds like they deaden the tone. For a GPCPA5K I would stick with light strings though. Just because it's recommended by Martin.
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
vindibona1

I've used the sp7100s which are nice but you'll pay up for them or any coated strings. I don't feel they last all that much longer than non coated. I've used elixers on my Yairis and didn't like them but Taylor puts them in all there axes.

My personal preference is any number of Martin uncoated. .
vindibona1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic guitar, gpcpa5k, martin, spruce top, strings