AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Music Gear > Member Classifieds
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 07-25-2018, 11:56 AM   #1
chefb

Default 1982 Sigma SE-19 VERY RARE - Made in Japan

I have a 1982 Sigma SE-19 acoustic electric guitar. These guitars are very rare as they were made for less than four years and in very limited numbers. Beautiful, solid wood construction, and amazing tone. Before Sigma moved its production to Korea, these Japanese made guitars adhered to the strict martin guidelines and standards and were inspected and approved by martin when they reached the US. These pre-Korea Sigmas are a true treasure. This guitar sounds better than many newer Martins I have played in recent years. Many, many years ago people would often ask to buy it from me, but I refused to part, even at the most generous offers. The time has come for me to part from this beautiful instrument so that someone else can truly enjoy it. I will entertain all reasonable offers!

Made in Japan as "Special and Unusual Models" produced from 1980-1983 only in very limited quantities. Has original Barcus-Berry piezo pickup. Has the "football" pressure-stamped logo inside back brace which reads, "Sigma Guitars Made In Japan For C.F. Martin & Co." Made of solid Mahogany top, back and sides with rosewood headstock, bridge and fingerboard. Has bone nut, 21 frets neck with dot inlay. Full body tortoise binding, oval sound hole. Individual string compensated saddle which make for excellent intonation. Original tuners work perfect. Volume and tone control for electronic pickup.

Same guitar used by Prince for Glam Slam video in the 80's. Can be seen on youtube!
chefb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Cozmik Cowboy

1) What is the body size & trim level? Pix would help.

2) This isn't an auction site; what are you asking?
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:26 PM   #3
chefb

Unfortunately I am not very well versed when it comes to guitars. What do you mean by body size and trim level? And I will be posting pictures in just a minute!
Old 07-27-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
chefb

Default Pictures!

Here are some pictures! I couldn't figure out how to attach them so here is a link to the pictures: https://imgur.com/a/CiTrHBC
Old 07-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #5
mcquinnsr

https://www.vintageguitar.com/25124/sigma-by-martin/
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 11:14 PM   #6
Cozmik Cowboy

Body size is, well, the size of the body. In Martin terms (which is what Sigma would be directly analogous to) the designations (leaving out those that post-date Sigma) would be, smallest to largest, 5,4,3,2,1,0,00,000, M (also called 0000) and D. That one is a D with a cutaway (D, besides being the largest, also has different contours; not nearly as narrow at the waist as the others. Some may question why I left OM out of my list; because it's just a 000 with a longer scale. You can find more info here: http://www.earlymartin.com/).
The trim level is how fancy it is; that one has 28-level trim (the bindings, etc.), but with the wood recipe (all-mahogany) of a 15 - and with an oval soundhole, which, AFAIK, Martin has never uncatalogued.

And again I ask - what are you asking?
Old 07-28-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
chefb

I appreciate your patience with my questions. I had an offer offer at $1100 about two years ago but that was someone specifically seeking the mode out, and I a bit higher than what I would ask. I’m at around $700 but I’ll entertain all reasonable offers. Unfortunately money is tight right now, so this will be going towards some bills.
Old 07-28-2018, 03:46 PM   #8
Cozmik Cowboy

You should have taken the $1100; Sigmas are listing (not selling, listing) in the low $300s these days.

And allow me suggest that you seek another answer, especially if you like the guitar. In 1978, one of my friends bought a '66 Tele from another friend for $300 (full disclosure - the buyer used it to teach me my first chords & a box scale). A few years later he was up against some bills & sold it for $600. That was the early '80s; as recently as this year he has lamented to me that the bills were due again the next month, but the Tele is still gone. (PS - the guy he bought from regretted that sale until he died last year.)
Old 07-28-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
JanVigne

I've only played a few Sigmas but they were all nice instruments. I have no idea what pedigree I've played but it's honestly difficult to believe the sound coming from a guitar with such a low asking price. But that's like driving one '69 Chevelle SS and thinking every Chevelle SS is the same car.

Unfortunately, bills are bills and they don't give a damn about my opinion of your guitar.

Here are two ifs for you: If you live near any city with a guitar show, put new strings on your guitar and take your guitar to a show. Stick a sign on it saying what you have and asking for an offer.

If you don't get the price you need, that's probably as good as you're going to get. Guys attending guitar shows are looking for deal but they are also prepared to spend money for the right guitar.

If you know anyone at a music shop, ask of they do commission sales for people. You'll loose a bit paying them to sell your guitar but the visibility might be worth it. It's a nice looking guitar that doesn't appear to have a lot of wear on it.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
JanVigne

I've only played a few Sigmas but they were all nice instruments. I have no idea what pedigree I've played but but it would honestly be difficult to believe the sound coming from a guitar with such a low asking price. But that's like driving one '69 Chevelle SS and thinking every Chevelle SS is the same car.

Unfortunately, bills are bills and they don't give a damn about my opinion of your guitar.

Here are two ifs for you: If you live near any city near a guitar show, put new strings on your guitar and take your guitar to a show. Stick a sign on it saying what you have and asking for an offer.

If you don't get the price you need, that's probably as good as you're going to get.

If you know someone at a music shop, ask if they do commission sales for people. You'll loose some money for them to sell it but the visibility might be worth it. IMO the Prince video doesn't sell the guitar.
Old 07-28-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Cozmik Cowboy

Jan's two suggestions are good ones; not necessarily so good I'd have suggested them twice, mind you , but good none the less.

And I also agree on the qualityrice ratio. I'd probably pay $700 for any of the Sigmas I've played (but not $1100) - but the current market, alas, does agree with you, Jan, and I.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:51 PM   #12
JanVigne

Some ideas are just worth saying more than once.

Not all of them, but some.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:10 PM   #13
mcquinnsr

I find it interesting that everyone I know who has Sigma's describe theirs as a rare one, kind of like everyone who has an Alvarez Yari have one that was made by Mr. Yari himself. Both brands are nice for what they are and for the money very good buys. I am not sure I would pay more than a couple hundred .
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:29 PM   #14
Cozmik Cowboy

As I have mentioned once or twice (or 300 times), I am quite fond of my Alvarez; it's very nice for what it is.

Alvarez-Yairis, on the other hand, are very nice, period.

Otherwise, you're quite right.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:50 AM   #15
Panther

Alvarez Yairi Guitars for $200.00 I would buy every one I could get my hands on. I have a DY-78 that cost $1200, and a DY-68 that was $600. I was happy to pay for each one.
They are exceptional guitars.

Dan
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acoustic, martin, se-19, sigma, vintage