AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > Acoustic Guitars
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 09-19-2014, 10:25 AM   #1
michbobcat

Default What Martin is similar to D-28?

I love the sound of a D-28...love, love, LOVE. Problem is, it's a beast and it's large size makes it really uncomfortable for me to play. The guitar just doesn't "fit." I'd say I'm beginner/intermediate but I'm at the point that there is no way I'm going to stop playing the guitar (even a bad practice session makes me feel better) so I want to buy a NICE quality guitar like a Martin. Is there a different model that will fit my small frame but I can get that low, solid warm hum from? Price not being an issue but I do want to stick with that brand. Thanks guys and gals!
michbobcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
JanVigne

Size/Type | C.F. Martin & Co.

martin guitar body sizes - Bing Images

Martin Guitars by Body Size

Martin guitar body sizes and body shapes

Acoustic Guitar Sizes: Know what body style and size "fits" before you buy | Strumviews.com - complete acoustic, electric guitar product reviews and more

Acoustic Guitar Body Sizes - Part 1

Hope that helps.

I'm not sure what that "low, solid warm hum" amounts to in your ears. A smaller body will not sound like a larger body unless there are some adjustments to its depth to increase the total volume (capacity in cubic inches) upward. Even then, there are limits to how much bass boom can be designed into a smaller body overall. This extra bass power is the reason for the deeper bodies on some smaller models, though, deeper bodies may be just as problematic if you are petite.

Smaller bodied guitars tend to have a more evenly balanced tone than a dreadnought like the D28. Currently, small "parlor" sized guitars are in favor with fingerstyle players, which often means they are twelve fret to the body models and may have shorter scale lengths (less string tension) and wider string spacing by way of broader fretboards at the nut and a smidge more room at the bridge.

Dreadnought bodies were intended at the time the D28 was introduced to increase the volume (loudness) capacity of the guitar before amplification became the norm. At the time, a guitar was generally a rhythm instrument rather than the lead instrument it has become in recent decades. As such, a guitar in the 1930's needed to have a loudness potential which could be heard against a banjo which was another common band instrument of the day.

You can certainly go to several web sites which will give you an idea of the differences between the variously sized Martins. The "Little Martin" is a smaller than parlor sized guitar typically used as a travel guitar. It is only available with a solid spruce top and HPL (high pressure laminate) sides and back or all HPL body. It's a nice guitar for its price range and does a good job when you're just sitting on the couch plucking away. The next smallest Martin in their standard line and with all solid woods would be the "0" size which is available in the 28 series. It is substantially bigger and more sophisticated all around than is the Little Martin as is reflected in the price difference. If reaching your arm around the body of a dreadnought is what slows you down, pay attention to the width of the lower bout as you look at specs.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
mcquinnsr

Well put JanVigne. Bigger guitars move more air. You should probably go somewhere and just play them.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Cozmik Cowboy

I am a rabid devotee of Martin's M body (sometimes also called 0000). It has the lower-bout width of a D with the shape & depth of a 000/OM. I find it an easier reach than a D, and I prefer the sound (but then, a D, while wonderful, is not "my" sound). As mcquinnsr says, though, get out & get your hands on them. It's the only way you'll know.
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #5
Richard57

Hey. Saw your post and thought I would add my two cents. I have a D-40 and absolutely love it. It's essentially a D-28, with more bling. I also purchased an M-36 and love it as well. Totally different sound than the D. Not as loud but very nice. I first started however with a Taylor 214-ceG. One of their lower models but it has that curvey bod that fits over your leg and has a pretty nice boom to it. You may want to play couple of Taylors. But have the fun is trying out as many guitars as you can. Have fun.
Richard57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
muddog

Last year I bought a Martin Custom 000-MMV, which is the small bodied guitar with phenomenal sound. It has all the solid hardwoods(no laminates) and the new type bracing. Right after I bought it I went down and bought a Seymour Duncan Woody sound hole electric pick-up....SAWEET! Quite often I take it to the open jams and it sounds great whether plugged in or not.
muddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
vindibona1

Michbobcat,

IMO you're asking a lot. You want a guitar to sound like a D28 while requiring a body of different dimensions. That is a tall order. But I'm sure you will find something you can fall in love with that fits you.

Acoustic guitars are funny beasts. They ALL sound different from one another. Price, brand, model, age mean little. Two seemingly identical guitars can sound and play radically different from one another.

You owe it to yourself to play a LOT of guitars before you purchase. Your ear needs to be trained what you like, dislike; what sounds good and what not so good. That can only be done through a lot of trial and error. You need to start frequenting a lot of guitar stores almost to the point where you become a nuisance. Play them all. Play some cheap ones. But also play ones that you don't think you could ever afford. Again, you'll find that price, brand and model mean little. You will be surprised.

BTW- As a personal anecdote... I always had GAS for a Martin acoustic. It took me 35 years to find one I liked well enough to pull the trigger on. Wish I had found it earlier, but I'm glad I waited. Also, earlier in the year while looking for a "beater" guitar I came across a guitar that someone was unloading and got it for $150, which sounds better and fits my hands perfectly... and I'd take any day of the week over the Martin HD28 which I've longed for. Having played a ton of guitars over the years is what helped me to recognize a winner while the seller thought she was selling off junk. YMMV Good luck.
vindibona1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 06:17 PM   #8
DRCanady

Love my OM16. I looked at the D16. The OM fit in my hands and on my lap better. The tone is different...it's a smaller body, but if you get an acoustic/electric and find a good acoustic amp and you can make any tone you want from almost any size guitar you want to play. I have to roll some bass of of mine when I plug in.
2012 Martin OMC16O-GTE, Manuel Rodriguez Classical, Alvarez AJ60SC, 79 Yamaha FG512, Gibson LP, Fender American Ash Tele, 89 Ibanez SR800, Epi Viola, Peavey BXP 5 String, BassMods 5 string, BassMods 6 String, Kala Fretless U-Bass, Grestch Mandolin.
DRCanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:32 PM   #9
tipster

Location: So Cal. the best humidity year rounbd for high end guitars

Goodall TROM, 000 or GC . He utilizes round (radiused) binding so you can hug the guitar easier.
tipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #10
mcquinnsr

Goodall's are nice a friend who plays in Joe Mullins The Radio City Ramblers Duane Sparks has a dred that is very nice.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
otis66

I had a Martin HD-28 a few years back. I had to sell it because of shoulder problems. The guitar was too wide and I could not Play it for longer than 7 min. I now play a Taylor 810 that I bought new in 2013. Taylor Dreds are thinner than the Martin Dreds. I sure miss that Martin but I just could not play it. I had to sell a Takimine EF360 for the same reason. I have my eye on a Martin 000-18 now.
otis66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d28, martin