AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > The Workbench
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #1
mcquinnsr

Default Zero Glide nut

Anybody tried Zero Glide nut yet? I am considering trying them on my electrics and fretted basses .I avoid playing open notes on bass because the tone is so different.Doesn't seem to be any harm in fitting one on and looks reversable if it doesn't suit you.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #2
Cozmik Cowboy

I have not, but I've been thinking about it for a couple of mine (both electric & acoustic). If you decide to go for it, please report back.
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 06:53 PM   #3
mcquinnsr

I am pretty sure the next 30 bucks I get to blow will go for getting one on the Squier Strat.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:01 AM   #4
Cozmik Cowboy

So - did you get it yet? We (or at least I; "we" seems a bit over-the-top for this site these days....) await your impressions.
Old 08-04-2020, 12:59 PM   #5
Panther

Do you have a link. it's not the zero fret deal is it.

Dan

It appears Jan is not longer here, has anyone heard how he is.
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:19 PM   #6
mcquinnsr

I haven't got it yet but soon I hope, also considering trying one on a Jay Jr under $100.00 acoustic instead of recutting the nut.Over all is a pretty good guitar for what it is but the action could stand to come down. Would probaly be worth the extra money for the stainless steel frets.

You can get them from several suppliers but here is one I deal with a lot https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/supplies/nuts-and-saddles/zero-glide-nuts.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5L_C-fGC6wIV9giICR3TvApgEAAYASAAEgIoA_D_BwE
Old 08-05-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
Cozmik Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther View Post
Do you have a link. it's not the zero fret deal is it.

Dan

It appears Jan is not longer here, has anyone heard how he is.
Yes, Dan, ZeroGlide is a nut with a built-in zero fret, either made or distributed by Gold Tone; here's their site: https://goldtonemusicgroup.com/zeroglide/

And no, my efforts to reach/learn something about Jan have proved fruitless thus far. I am worried about him.
Old 09-15-2020, 09:50 PM   #8
mcquinnsr

Ordered a Zeroglide for my Squire Strat today. Step one on getting the trem off the deck.Next will be a set of locking tuners,then I will try to see if the Squier trem is worth putting upgrade saddles in or if I should put a better unit in.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
Cozmik Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
Ordered a Zeroglide for my Squire Strat today. Step one on getting the trem off the deck.Next will be a set of locking tuners,then I will try to see if the Squier trem is worth putting upgrade saddles in or if I should put a better unit in.
Just a friendly reminder: Before making a decision in re keeping the stock whammy, make sure it's set up properly; plenty of vids on YT about how to do that I have an a Squire Affinity Strat with viciously bad fret work that I keep around to practice whammy set-up on; it's quite a process (of course, I also use it to hone my electronic-modding skills, and the plan is that some day I will use it to teach myself fret work).
Old 09-16-2020, 08:37 PM   #10
mcquinnsr

They are indeed a pain and for sure not worth the effort if you are going to have the strings hang up in the nut or loosen on stock tuners.I have done a few and usually end up just decking it and leaving the bar off.After all these years you would think they would have come up with a from the factory solution.The 2 point trem only addresses some of the problems.Seems like all of them have some issue or another though.But I hope to get some ventures and Dick Dale stuff worked up one of these days.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #11
Cozmik Cowboy

Also, be sure you have the spring & ball-bearing in place under the arm; they go a long way to making the response proper, and to keeping the arm where you want it - and they are so easily and often lost that I had been playing at least 35 years, and roadieing a few before that, before I knew they existed.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:31 PM   #12
mcquinnsr

I didn't know they were there either until the last couple of years .I have been doing a lot of research on Tele's and Strat's .Have learned a lot and for sure would not pay much for any Fender or Gibson made in the last 40 years.There was a point in time when the few people who knew something others didn't know about guitars ,electric and acoustic lost control to the marketing people and the science and engineering pretty much leveled the playing field amongst manufacturers .
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 PM   #13
Cozmik Cowboy

Fender has actually made great strides in the last 35 years; it's ~1967-85 I'd steer clear of. But were I to go new-Fender shopping now, I'd most likely be looking at MIM; best twang for your buck by far. And, as they say, the difference between MIM & MIA Fenders is that MIMs are built by Mexicans in Sonora, and MIAs are built by Mexicans in California (but thus it has ever been; check out this vid of the original shop in '59: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BG99Gg7SGs).

But right now, I'd most likely go partscaster.

And if I wanted a new Gibson, I'd buy a Heritage........
Old 09-18-2020, 09:17 PM   #14
mcquinnsr

So I got the ZeroGlide and installed. Wasn't too bad ,would have been easier if I would have read and followed instructions. Had to size the width of the plastic part and then cut and finish the fret to size.Was a little work but for sure a lot less than slotting a nut to get the lowest action. You notice the difference in tone between an open and fretted note compared to before right away. The instructions are very good if you choose to go that route and everything you need but tools is in the kit. $35.00 is probably well worth it ,but if it were less I would for sure put them on all my guitars and basses. My main problem with manufacturers these days is too many different choices for each model.Back in the day when I dreamed of owning one other than the finish you got one guitar. If you like Fender sound you bought a Fender if you liked Gibson you bought Gibson. If I have to sort through so many guitars of the same model to find what I want I will just find an inexpensive guitar that I like the looks and feel of and with all the money I save I can play with the pickups and other parts to get what I have in my head . I know a lot of people think they can hear a difference in wood and construction but I just can't and suspect it is all in our minds. And once you do buy one yo have to psych yourself up as to how great it is or you feel like kicking yourself for spending so much money. I watch people buying and selling guitars and listen to them going on about how great the latest acquisition sounds and to be honest a good player can make any of them sound good . And in a few months for some reason they are getting rid of the greatest guitar in the world and buying another greatest guitar. Great for manufacturers and vendors but I worked too hard for my money .
Old 09-18-2020, 11:27 PM   #15
Cozmik Cowboy

In a discussion on another forum, someone was going on about how great it was that he'd (and yes - it was a he; women are too smart for this kind of foolishness) paid a huge amount of money for an "Historic Reissue" of a great classic - and then sent it in to pay someone else a pile to void his warranty by changing the stock Indian fretboard for a Brazilian one, and now it really had that "vintage tone". My response?

"It takes a very good, and very experienced, ear to hear the difference between IRW & BRW in an acoustic body; if you're hearing a difference in a solid-body's fingerboard, you should perhaps consider adjusting your meds."
Old 09-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #16
mcquinnsr

Agreed
Old 09-21-2020, 07:08 PM   #17
mcquinnsr

Ordered a set of Fender locking tuners,a tremelo bar and some springs today.Time to try and revive the trem.
Old 09-21-2020, 11:49 PM   #18
Cozmik Cowboy

Home many springs you going with? I'm a fan of the full 5.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:43 AM   #19
Cozmik Cowboy

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to load a pic from my files, or you would be looking at one of a Strat back cavity; some genius fed the strings through the trem block and hooked them directly to the springs. Hilarious.
Old 09-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #20
mcquinnsr

I have 5 in there now while it is decked ,not sure how many to leave. I cannot get photos to upload anymore either.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:37 PM   #21
mcquinnsr

Got the tuners , whammy bar and springs today.It seem Squier tuners are smaller than Fender tuners and I need to redrill the pin holes that keep them straight.Not too big a deal ,just time consuming.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:27 AM   #22
Cozmik Cowboy

IIRC, Stew-Mac (and probably other suppliers) sells bushings to mount smaller posts in larger holes.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:23 PM   #23
mcquinnsr

The holes through the neck were fine,Fender doesn't use a screw to keep the machines straight .There are 2 pins cast into the housing that go into corresponding holes in headstock. Not a big deal.Got it all done.Ended up with 5 springs,not sure why my strings are putting so much tension on the tailpiece.I switched the Squire neck for a thinner Affinity neck and it doesn't seem to set as deep as the Squire neck,have the saddles up pretty high.Might be giving them more leverage. Using Elixer light electric strings. So far I am impressed ,way more stable on the tuning.I used Fender locking tuners ,their idea of staggered is 2 different heights . Still using string trees so staggered is not much of an issue,have read if you take string trees off strings pop out of the nut .Probably wouldn't with the ZeroGlide tho. Counting the pickups,electric upgrades and this one I have less than $250.00 in it and I am tickled to death with it. Has all the tone I was looking for and a few extra with the fader pot. Just couldn't find anything on the rack that suited me.Now I just need to get motivated to play it. Kind of like the Epiphone Sg a little better but I use coil splitter so they both are single coil. I like a clean more jangly tone than most people around here .They seem to like that overdriven crunch sound. All I need as far as effects is a Behringer reverb pedal ,if I want the crunch and overdrive the Golden Age overwound pickups have it with a little more volume on the front end.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:36 AM   #24
Cozmik Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
. Counting the pickups,electric upgrades and this one I have less than $250.00 in it....
OK, now you've done it - you've made dust off my braggin' shoes.

I have an Alvarez 5014, an Epiphone Sheraton, a Yamaha GS-225 ii, a Squire Strat, a Squire Tele, a Yamaha RBX-365, a Tamanine G-335, a Regal R-2, a Washburn J-5, a Savannah parlor, an unlabeled mountain dulcimer, an Oscar Schimdt autoharp, a Silvertone Twin Twelve 1484, and an Ampeg Rocketbass B-50 R - and I don't have $200 tied up in the lot of them............
Old 09-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #25
mcquinnsr

Sounds like a nice variety. My pastor's grandson just got a Gibson LesPaul Studio ,he is tickled to death but I just can't see where all that money went. It's nice but is just an electric guitar with overwound humbuckers and coil splitting when you analyze it.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:57 PM   #26
mcquinnsr

Still enjoying the mods,If you are not a fan of having to retune all the time the locking tuners and ZeroGlide nut are the ticket. I am still trying to talk myslef into putting a ZeroGlide on an acoustic. The biggest problem is deciding which one. While it would be nice on the D-18 to have some very low action the lack of adjustable trussrod has me keeping it on the high side to allow for seasonal changes. I suppose it would not be a big deal to change the fretwire to a different thickness as needed .Would just require loosening the strings and sliding one out and another in.Think I just talked myself into putting it on the Martin while typing that.