LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 07-02-2019, 10:47 AM   #1
JanVigne

Default Doesn't sound like a Dove to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5T...4&index=3&t=0s
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:06 PM   #2
Cozmik Cowboy

But the headstock overlay is solid wood! Thank god they didn't use a laminate for that, eh?
Cozmik Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 AM   #3
JanVigne

If the question is, "Could they have done worse?", the answer would appear to to be, yep!

Nothing against walnut, I really liked the sound of the Larrivee parlor in walnut. Just seems like a strange move for a company that insisted it had to bend/break the law by bringing in embargoed woods.

I haven't seen this model in a shop so far. 'Course I don't spend as much time in guitar shops as I once did. It may be a lot better sounding than the video suggests. Or it might appeal to a crowd that simply prefers a sound I don't find attractive as I hear it on the video.

It would, IMO, be interesting to see the demographic studies that said Gibson should begin producing this model.

Who controls Gibson nowdays? Did the courts let Henry have a say?
Old 07-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #4
Cozmik Cowboy

There is a large group of current luthiers who are dedicated to "moving the instrument forward", trying to make quality instruments while distancing themselves from the classic M/G/G tonal neighborhood; this sounds like Gibson is trying to join them (and while many of these folks make fine fiddles, I'm sorry - to me, "classic M/G/G" is what a guitar is supposed to sound like! Walnut? Heck, I'm not even all that crazy about maple & koa.)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #5
JanVigne

It's been several years now since I picked up a Santa Cruz at a guitar show and it sounded similar to what I'm hearing from this Gibson. Being a Santa Cruz my memory says it was about $10k worth of guitar. But it had that somewhat thin on the bottom and nasally in the mids tone I get from this Gibson. I was told by a bystander (whose veracity I cannot vouch for) that was a sound that had some following in the bluegrass market.

Since it sounded nothing like Clarence White/Tony Rice's D-28 I had my doubts. Even more so when I heard Rice say Santa Cruz had worked on his Martin and the fact this guitar just didn't sound like any other Santa Cruz I had ever played.

There's room for everybody I suppose and what you like isn't necessarily what I would buy. To be cliche, there are folks who spent $$$$$ on a copy of Bob Taylor's palette guitar, right down to the factory installed nail holes. So there's a market for whatever story you can put behind anything I guess.

Just seems to me Gibson is still working themself into a corner with this price range. It wouldn't fit at the top of the Epiphone line and it can't be made outside of Montana unless Gibson wants to PO all those rednecks who got behind Henry and overpaid for his "government seizure" guitars.

To say they are making something "more affordable" (cheaper) simply indicates they are caught in a bind competing against their own vintage instruments IMO. A Dove is waaaaay overpriced IMO but maybe making their guitars less ridiculously priced might do them some good. Cottage industry products don't have to be expensive, they just have to offer consistently high value for the dollar spent. Those that succeed at that formula stick around for decades under intelligent management. Those that fail at that simple idea don't last beyond the third quarter returns report to investors.

Could be, I suppose, Henry is saying, "Eat this, investors".

If this video is any indication, IMO this guitar isn't headed in the direction of being around two years from now. I just can't think any potential Gibson buyer who had been priced out of their traditional line sat around hoping for a new (cheaper) Gibson model with walnut in it. Or crying out for a guitar that is only selling its "hot hide glue neck joint". Gibson is selling buzzwords here, not product.

Martin and Taylor have been driving down the "sustainable woods" highway for over a decade. It isn't a two lane road but hoping this guitar sells this is sort of like having a red cap with "MA A" printed on it.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #6
Cozmik Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanVigne View Post
It's been several years now since I picked up a Santa Cruz at a guitar show and it sounded similar to what I'm hearing from this Gibson. Being a Santa Cruz my memory says it was about $10k worth of guitar. But it had that somewhat thin on the bottom and nasally in the mids tone I get from this Gibson.
That's interesting. Every SCGC piece I've come across has been in the realm of the finest Martins (and yes, priced accordingly). But, they are famous for tuning your instrument, not only for the tone, but for how far from the soundhole that tone is at its optimum, so i guess anything's possible from them.
Old 07-03-2019, 06:06 PM   #7
JanVigne

Yeah, well, for Santa Cruz prices you got much more guitar than the Gibson but it had a sound that surprised me. It was a signature model so that may have been the reason though I couldn't begin to tell you whose signature it was. It was the first time I'd ever put a Santa Cruz back in the rack and moved on.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Bob c

Interesting guys

I'll stay with my Martin.
Jmo
Bob
Bob c is offline   Reply With Quote