AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Acoustic Guitar Talk > Luthier's Corner
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 04-23-2011, 04:41 AM   #1
Death Rat

Default The Ultimate Home Built Gallery!

Post photos of your self made guitars and projects here!
I have never made one, so someone else will have to do the honors and post the first pic :sad:

DO IT! IM WAITING FOR THE GUITAR PR0NZ!
Old 11-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
mcquinnsr

I am poised on the edge of building one in ther near future.Trying to decide on a bolt on neck or a dovetail.Stewart MacDonald has some nice kits and the tools and instructionals.
mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
Gambit88

Les paul style kit. I think ill build a strat next with p90s and then try an acoustic kit

Gambit88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:07 AM   #4
cmarr6

Default Handbuilt Gallery

Hi. I'm new to the site. Have been building my own guitars for quite awhile now. I am currently on my 8th scratch built guitar. Did a couple of kit guitars first, then learned to build from scratch. Here is a few of the ones I have done, and a couple that are in process. You can find me on facebook at Marr Guitars.
Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pOOOr Lightnin'.jpg (47.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Random acts of Blindness.jpg (43.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Sarah.jpg (51.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Mohaganny OOO.jpg (78.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Dorothy.jpg (91.5 KB, 8 views)
cmarr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
DRCanady

This started as a kit. Finish the body and neck. Attach the neck. Assembled and installed the electronics (Install was the hardest part for me). 2 1/2 weeks later.... Lots of fun. I may try an electric next. At some point Id like to take an acoustic guitar build class but the local class starts at $3,200. I could end up with a $3,200 piece of.....

I just added an extra photo with the new strings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Big Red Small.jpg (92.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Red Bass Finished - Cropped.jpg (33.8 KB, 6 views)
2012 Martin OMC16O-GTE, Manuel Rodriguez Classical, Alvarez AJ60SC, 79 Yamaha FG512, Gibson LP, Fender American Ash Tele, 89 Ibanez SR800, Epi Viola, Peavey BXP 5 String, BassMods 5 string, BassMods 6 String, Kala Fretless U-Bass, Grestch Mandolin.

Last edited by DRCanady; 06-09-2016 at 12:34 PM.
DRCanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
TomT

Hello, I'm new to the site but wanted to share my latest build.
It's a resonator with a Beard cone. A piezo pickup is attached to the cone.

TomT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #7
Cozmik Cowboy

Where's the dern "Like" button???
Cozmik Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #8
mcquinnsr

I've been wondering what happened to the like button as well.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #9
DRCanady

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRCanady View Post
This started as a kit. Finish the body and neck. Attach the neck. Assembled and installed the electronics (Install was the hardest part for me). 2 1/2 weeks later.... Lots of fun. I may try an electric next.
Update: I took this one out for a gig last Friday. It played and sounded great. It also generated a lot of questions from the crowd. The red strings were a hit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Red Bass - SJ Club 1.jpg (86.8 KB, 5 views)
2012 Martin OMC16O-GTE, Manuel Rodriguez Classical, Alvarez AJ60SC, 79 Yamaha FG512, Gibson LP, Fender American Ash Tele, 89 Ibanez SR800, Epi Viola, Peavey BXP 5 String, BassMods 5 string, BassMods 6 String, Kala Fretless U-Bass, Grestch Mandolin.
DRCanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #10
TomT

Default I can't stop myself..........

I liked the wooden resonator project so much I had to do something else. The result is shown in the photo. It's a metal body resonator with a hard maple neck and walnut fret board. I learned that metal body resonators are "loud". It sound good and is louder than my other acoustics. With careful planning I was able to keep the weight to 7 lbs. Heavy, but still a fair amount less than a Les Paul.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 PM   #11
TomT

Seems my link got lost.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:49 PM   #12
TomT

Here is my latest
Old 01-15-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
mcquinnsr

nice,where are the holes?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #14
TomT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
nice,where are the holes?
I have some of the traditional round "grilled" holes, but wanted to give it a try without them. So far, I can't see the need for them. The volume and tone is very good like it is. Jury is still out on holes.
Old 04-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #15
Panther

This is a Hybrid custom built tribute guitar I made 5 years ago to commemorate My Champion Sheltie Kawliga. He was Killed by a Coyote at 12 years old.
It's half Les Paul, Half Stratocaster. I had to modify the Les Paul body to accommodate the scale of the Stratocaster neck. I had the portrait done by an artist is Orange County, and the paw print and scratched are from the print taken when he was cremated. The scratches are there to show HE is the only one that could do that to my guitars and get away with it. It's been along time since he's been gone, and I still miss him daily. I've included the parts layout, the finished guitar, and the portrait used to copy to the guitar.

Dan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KAW1.jpg (96.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG0258.jpg (99.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg KAW086.JPG (90.4 KB, 8 views)
Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 06:09 PM   #16
mcquinnsr

nice
Old 04-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #17
Panther

Thank You, a very emotional build. When I first saw the artwork, it brought tears to my eyes.

Dan
Old 04-04-2017, 07:56 AM   #18
JanVigne

Very handsome pup.

We had Shelties when I was young. Our first - and best IMO - was Jemimha. She loved to chase things - anything - just as long as she was in motion. Very, very funny dog who embarrassed my mother more than once.

Great, great dogs but very one person/one family dogs in my experience. I once sat for someone who raised Shelties. Twelve dogs in crates when I came in and then twelve blurs of motion when I opened their crates. She had cut their vocal chords to minimize noise in the show ring. I thought that was unfair to the dogs but they were her dogs.

We all have those friends we've lost who leave a deep impression on our memories. There is no way to replace "your dog" but you go on to find new friends and, IMO, that's sort of what life is about.

One of my Martins has scratches from a bored Maggie. Putting her photo on my guitar was about the last thing on my mind when I found her and the guitar.
JanVigne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #19
Panther

Shelties have a very strong herding and barking instinct. IMPOSSIBLE to stop them. Debarking is totally harmless to a Sheltie, when they bark, the jaw bone muscles will slightly dampen the hearing canal, so they really can't hear there own bark that loud, and if you noticed they didn't seem to realize they weren't making any noise. It's harmless.
Ironically, it took me 5 years to even consider another companion, Finally I warned up to a male Sable colored young pup of about 5 months of age. I warmed up to him for the next 3 months. One morning I opened the door to let him out in our yard, we have 2.5 acres all fenced. He stopped at the door and hesitated to go out. I insisted he go out. About 30 minutes later I hear my Mom calling me. I go outside, My Mom was heading out to go to town, She hit him with her car, and killed him. They will follow a car very close to the wheels, a herding instinct. He didn't want to go outside, which was VERY unusual for him.

Dan
Old 08-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #20
TomT

Default Wanted a Travel Guitar

I like to take a guitar along on road trips, but worry about banging up one of my favorite players. Sooooo....

I built this guy. It has a 24" scale and an overall length of 26 3/4".

The strings go over some V groove bearings and turn back into the body where they meet the tuners. The compact humbucker pickup exits through a Strat style audio jack bracket.

It sounds amazingly good and will be easy to transport
Old 08-06-2017, 07:27 PM   #21
JanVigne

Makes a BackPacker look plain.

What's the little L bracket for?
JanVigne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #22
TomT

Default The L bracket.

The bracket is for attaching the guitar strap using a small S hook. There is a small tab and hole at the top of the neck as well.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:18 PM   #23
Cozmik Cowboy

Pretty slick - but I gotta ask, just what does a string change entail?
Cozmik Cowboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:23 AM   #24
TomT

Hi Cowboy. Changing strings requires that the four screws holding the top in place be removed and the top slid to one side. I'm thinking that for the 2.0 version, I will have a top that is glued in place and a back side that is removable for access to strings. Learn a little with every build.

The actual threading of strings around the V bearings and into the tuner posts is not that difficult, although with my fat fingers I could use a little more room.