AcousticGuitarTalk.com Martin Guitars 
Go Back   AcousticGuitarTalk.com > Music Gear > Electric Guitars
LIKE MartinBoard on Facebook FOLLOW MartinBoard on Twitter

Old 08-03-2017, 07:38 PM   #1
mcquinnsr

Default New toy

Got a new toy, Epiphone SG Special. Got tired of looking at Les Paul's, SG's Telecaster's and Stratocaster's and just bought a cheap SG knockoff. Actually a very nice little guitar. Probably will upgrade a few parts down the road like PAF PU's with coil splitting . Just couldn't find a good reason for someone with my skillset and no more than I will use it laying out the big bucks.

mcquinnsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:39 AM   #2
JanVigne

Congrats! Not everyone needs a $5k guitar.
JanVigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:03 AM   #3
mary87

so good!! =))))
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #4
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Congrats! If and when I ever get another electric that one is one my short list for all the same reasons you state. I think it's quite lovely!
Old 11-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Now that you've had it a while, Mike, how are you liking it?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
mcquinnsr

Very nice, Don't play it much ,kind of a pain ,prefer acoustic.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:02 AM   #7
JanVigne

Kind of a pain? How so?
Old 11-08-2017, 07:53 AM   #8
ReallyCrappyPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquinnsr View Post
Very nice, Don't play it much ,kind of a pain ,prefer acoustic.
I can relate to that. Do you play it in church at all, or are your acoustics amplified for church and other gigs?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
mcquinnsr

It is a pain because you have to have an amp and cables . At home don't play much other than occasionally I have an epiphany or see or hear something on TV so I grab my Applause off the wall. I bought the electric to have it when I retire and start to practice and do things I don't have time to do at home. I pretty much only play on Sunday at Church and I play wireless. I need to be able to walk around due to back problems and sometimes have to go to the back of sanctuary and up the stairs to the sound room while playing to fine tune things. When the sound system was installed they intended there to be a sound/camera man so everything is in an upstairs room overlooking the sanctuary. Since I have taken over I haven't been able to find anyone who can hear that I can count on to be there. So I just run it myself ,adjustments are made with a week lag based on what I hear while editing the TV program. I am onstage during the worship and announcement part and run upstairs to chase the Pastor with the camera during the sermon. Works out pretty good most of the time. Kind of interesting when I have to set up for other visiting groups. Get my exercise in for sure.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:02 AM   #10
ReallyCrappyPlayer

At home though you can just keep the guitar plugged in and ready to go. Not much more effort than an acoustic to start playing, unless you use a tube amp and have to wait a spec for it to warm up.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:25 AM   #11
JanVigne

"I am onstage during the worship and announcement part and run upstairs to chase the Pastor with the camera during the sermon"

Now that's a visual! LOL!

Kinda sounds like you need to give up some control to an assistant. Sit them down and teach them how to hear the things you hear and how to get those things out of the equipment.

That's pretty much what I had to do when I was supervising the sound systems for live theatres and each show had a different person assigned to run the boards. Then I had to step back and accept their ears weren't my ears and their judgement wasn't my judgement.

You have to accept that one day, you aren't going to be there to oversee everything and if there's no one else who knows how to make things work, the church will be screwed.

That's the situation I walked into when I took my job with the theatre. The theatre had been without a sound tech for a decade and no one knew how to work the systems or repair the systems. I spent most of my first year just getting things back to normal while trying to do my regular job at the same time. It all could have been avoided of management had just paid attention.

I didn't want to be there all the time and management would have been happy to have me be doing everything so they could continue on not paying any attention to the sound department (which basically was me). I know nothing about your church but I know management and, if you let them think you are indispensable, they won't but they'll let you run yourself into the ground.

My typical work week was 70 hours and I wanted to go home at night every now and again and not be watching over every Wednesday matinee and Saturday Morning and afternoon kids show. And at the downtown theatre and the uptown theatre that were both running shows at the same time. And during the all the BS extracurricular activities management could think up for me. Or while I was building a new system and repairing and installing and tweaking all the equipment I was responsible for.

I only went out on tours and stayed out on tours when I was the one actually creating the sound and running the boards. Otherwise, they all had my phone number if everything when in the crapper. If I hadn't made it that way, I would have been in some sound booth in some theatre 24/7 and since our Xmas show was the big money maker, I would have been in there on Xmas day all day every year.

Find a good helper, Mcquinnsr. Hate to lose you to a heart attack during a particularly hearty "AMEN".

Last edited by JanVigne; 11-09-2017 at 09:59 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
mcquinnsr

They pretty much are screwed if I don't show up. I do however have the system set up to the point you can just turn it on for the usual people . Only need to change things for visitors. If someone needs to be up there it is mostly to run the camera and turn off the SM-58's ,the pastor doesn't like to hear himself in the monitors when preaching and the wireless mic doesn't feed into the monitors. Keep hoping someone will join us that is interested in learning sound as I learned from a very talented technician.